Leyton Orient
Sutton United

Bonne 7 pen, 81, Harrold 54, Dayton 86

Wright 83

9 December 2017
Vanarama National League
Adam Bromley (Devon)
26 Jamie Butler
17 Dan Spence
16 Nicky Bailey
22 Simon Walton
27 Simon Downer
6 Jamie Collins
30 Tom Bolarinwa
15 Craig Eastmond 64 Taylor
9 Ross Lafayette
14 Craig Dundas 69 Stearn
11 Kieron Cadogan 59 Wright
4 Dean Beckwith
5 Louis John
20 Tommy Wright
23 Josh Taylor
32 Ross Stearn

Sutton suffered their heaviest defeat of the season as Leyton Orient achieved the result they would have been looking for in Justin Edinburgh’s first home game as manager. Without a Vanarama National League win since the beginning of September, Orient had started life under the new regime with a defeat at bottom of the table Solihull, and U’s would have been hoping to frustrate them for as long as possible to create unease among the home following, but a bright start from the home side yielded a goal in just the seventh minute, and although U’s, who had the backing of over 400 supporters, had chances in the first half to pull things back they were made to pay for a failure to make the most of good positions and some at times pedestrian defending against a lively Orient attack.

It was predictable that Orient would be out of the blocks quickly as they hoped to make a positive impression, and they might have been ahead inside five minutes when Dan Happe met a corner at the far post and it required a fine reflex stop from Jamie Butler to keep the ball out. Two minutes later, though, U’s defence seemed slow to counter a neat exchange between Myles Judd and James Dayton, who easily went past Simon Walton in to the penalty area. Walton’s attempts to recover ended only with a push in the back on Dayton, and referee Adam Bromley pointed to the penalty spot, also booking Walton. Butler had saved the previous penalty he had faced two weeks earlier, but this time he was given no chance by Macauley Bonne’s fierce spot kick in to the roof of the net.

Sutton responded well, and should have been level within five minutes as a free kick fell to Ross Lafayette ten yards out, but he put his shot too close to Dean Brill, who made a good save but one he shouldn’t have been allowed to make. There were other opportunities as Jamie Collins and Craig Dundas seemed to impeded each other as they tried to turn the ball in from close range, a stretching Dundas was denied by Brill at close range and Tom Bolarinwa cut in from the right before seeing a shot deflected wide of the near post.

Bolarinwa’s pace was a concern for Orient, with Joe Widdowson booked for one foul and Judd, when Bolarinwa switched wings, lucky not to follow his team mate in to the book for pulling the winger back, but too often promising positions for U’s yielded nothing as free kicks and corners either landed in vacant spaces or ended up harmlessly in Brill’s hands. At the other end Orient were often a threat when Jobi McAnuff had the ball, and from one cross Butler was bailed out by Collins, who cleared Bonne’s lob off the line after the keeper had failed to gather. Bonne glanced another header just wide, but early in the second half U’s task became more difficult. Spence fouled Dayton, an offence which would probably have brought a yellow card had Judd been booked for his first half foul on Bolarinwa, and Jobi McAnuff’s free kick was headed in by the unmarked Matt Harrold.

Tommy Wright, Josh Taylor and Ross Stearn were all thrown on in the next fifteen minutes as Sutton tried to find a way back, but they didn’t create the chances they had in the first half and seemed to have been put out of the game with nine minutes left when substitute David Mooney had space to control Dayton’s cross, and although Nicky Bailey managed to deflect his shot on to the post Bonne finished emphatically from the rebound. Almost immediately Wright gave U’s a glimmer of hope as he collected Lafayette’s flick, held off a challenge and drilled a low shot past Brill, and had U’s managed to pull another one back there could have been real nerves among the home ranks. As quick as the hope had arrived, though, it was extinguished as the referee allowed play to continue after what seemed to be a foul on Collins by McAnuff, and Sutton gave the ball away on the edge of their own penalty area allowing Bonne to set up Dayton for a shot which deflected off Walton to leave Butler helpless and Orient comfortable.

Orient: D Brill, M Judd, J Widdowson, A Lawless, B N’Gala, D Happe, J McAnuff, C Clay, M Bonne(sub J Koroma 90+4), M Harrold (sub D Mooney 77) J Dayton. Subs n/u A Pollock, Z Westbrooke, C Grainger. Booked: Widdowson, Clay, Happe, McAnuff.