Sutton United

Kay 90

16 February 2019
Vanarama National League
Sam Purkiss
1 Ross Worner
2 Dale Bennett
6 Jamie Collins
4 Dean Beckwith
22 Bradley Pearce
15 Craig Eastmond
19 Harry Beautyman 63 Deacon
33 James Dobson
9 Gime Toure
10 Jonah Ayunga 66 Bolarinwa
28 Brett Williams 74 Kearney
7 Tom Bolarinwa
11 Dylan Kearney
12 Crossley Lema
21 Roarie Deacon
30 Jude Mason

Three weeks after snatching a last gasp victory against Ebbsfleet in their previous home game, Sutton saw the other side of the coin as Josh Kay’s heavily deflected shot in the 90th minute gave Barrow a league double over U’s and a first ever win at Gander Green Lane. It was a tight game, and although Sutton might feel that, while they didn’t do enough to win, they didn’t necessarily deserve to lose, the clearer chances throughout were Barrow’s, even if there was a large slice of luck when Kay’s shot which while on target would not have been expected to beat Ross Worner, deflected off Tom Bolarinwa’s back and found the opposite corner of the net with Worner completely wrongfooted.

Sutton, with skipper Jamie Collins at left back in the absence of both Aswad Thomas and Nicky Bailey, fashioned a chance in the first minute when Craig Eastmond burst through from midfield and fired in a low shot which Joel Dixon saved, but Barrow’s defence looked solid, troubled only when Jonah Ayunga was able to run at them, and one run and cross ended with a Brett Williams header wide when Gime Toure, behind Williams, might have been in a better position to meet the cross. Eastmond had a shot blocked from a well worked corner routine, but the clearest chance of the half was at the other end when a superb pass from Dan Jones was collected by Kay, who then blazed over the bar with only Worner to beat. Jones headed just wide from a Rooney cross as the sides reached half time level in terms of the scoreline and the balance of play.

Williams might have given U’s the lead early in the second half when Dean Beckwith, nudged a Worner free kick in to his path but he volleyed just wide. As in the first half, though, it was hard to break down a well organised Barrow defence. U’s made changes midway through the half, although not necessarily the changes they would have wanted as Harry Beautyman suffered a hamstring injury just as the first change was about to be made and had to be replaced. Bolarinwa and Roarie Deacon found it no easier to create openings, though, Deacon wasting one free kick with an over-hit delivery rather as John Rooney had done for Barrow in the first half, but there was one clear chance when Collins met a James Dobson free kick with a header which went wide when he should have done better.

As U’s pushed forward so the pace of Dior Angus posed more of a threat on the break. One low cross from the right was turned wide by Rooney, and when he broke through on the left and crossed, Lewis Hardcastle’s close range header came back off the bar. Worner saved from Jack Hindle, and there was controversy when Hardcastle attacked on the left and went over under Dale Bennett’s challenge, referee Sam Purkiss booking the Barrow player for simulation rather than awarding the penalty. It looked as though the points would be shared, but then Kay was given time to get a shot away from just outside the penalty area, and Bolarinwa’s deflection left Worner stranded and U’s suffering a third home defeat of the season.

Barrow: J Dixon, J Barthram, C Brown, J Taylor, S Hird, D Jones, J Hindle(sub L Burgess 85), J Rooney, D Angus, J Kay, L Hardcastle (sub C Sloan 90+3). Subs n/u M Elsdon, K Jameson, L Molyneux. Booked: Hardcastle.

Link to photos: Here