Sutton United

Charles-Cook 49, 90+7

16 September 2017
Vanarama National League
Chris Pollard (Suffolk)
26 Jamie Butler
17 Dan Spence
22 Simon Walton
5 Louis John
3 Aswad Thomas
8 Kenny Davis
11 Kieron Cadogan 60 Jeffrey
23 Josh Taylor 73 Coombes
15 Craig Eastmond
14 Craig Dundas
20 Tommy Wright 55 Emmanuel
10 Adam Coombes
21 Moses Emmanuel
24 Anthony Jeffrey
25 Jordan Bentley
27 Simon Downer
The U’s endured a frustrating afternoon away to neighbours Woking, returning home pointless from a game where they really should have collected all three. What made it worse for Paul Doswell’s men was that the game turned on two highly controversial decisions just before and after half-time.
It had all begun promisingly for the U’s. On top from the first whistle they dominated the first half, restricting the home team to just two off-target shots from breakaways, and creating several good chances of their own but finding Nathan Baxter, voted Man of the Match by the home club, in top form between the sticks.
Three minutes in Dan Spence put in a deep cross that Tommy Wright sent looping goalwards but Baxter back-pedalled to tip the ball over the bar. From the ensuing corner Louis John’s volley was cleared off the line with Baxter beaten. The ‘keeper did better five minutes later, just beating Kieron Cadogan to a probing ball inside the left-back. A minute later a spell of head tennis was played out in the home penalty area following a deep free-kick from Jamie Butler, Craig Eastmond brought the ball down to feed Craig Dundas and he set up Cadogan but the cross was blocked out for another corner. It was Cadogan whop was involved again when Baxter made a good save down by his left-hand past from the striker’s low shot. Perhaps the best save of the bunch came a couple of minutes when Baxter was equal to a thunderous volley by Spence. Mor heavy pressure eventually brought a free-kick in the ‘D’ for a foul on Dundas, Simon Walton fired in a low shot that Baxter again did brilliantly to save but Wright should have done better with the rebound, shooting tamely at the keeper.
With half an hour gone Woking attached down the left and built a good position but shot high over Butler’s crossbar.  Encouraged, the next time the home side broke up a promising U’s attack they put pressure on Walton, who lost possession, the lively Joe Ward broke on the right but his cross-shot slid a couple yards wide of the far post. Regan Charles-Cook then put in a speedy run for the Cards but Eastmond recovered quickly to put in a brilliant block and Walton completed the job with a great tackle. Three minutes before the break came one of the decisive moments, with the U’s confidently appealing for a penalty after Aswad Thomas appeared to be tripped with the goal in his sights.
It got worse for the U’s four minutes after the break, Charles-Cook heading home despite from close range appearing to be several yards offside.  The match officials had a long discussion but the goal stood.
From then on the U’s were chasing the game and despite having the lions’ share of possession found it hard to break down a disciplined and energetic home defence and chances were hard to come by. John cleared off the line from ward and Baxter made another good save from Spence’s rasping left-footer but too often it was a red shirt that was first to the second ball in an increasingly crowded penalty area as U’s seemed to run out of ideas against a packed rearguard. Seven minutes of added time were indicated, mainly a consequence of an injury to home full-back Louis Ramsay,   but as the game went into it’s closing stages the U’s pushed John forward and Woking looked dangerous several times on the break, with Butler denying Ward and Inih Effiong before finally being beaten again in the closing seconds by Charles-Cook after making a good save from Effiong.
Nathan Baxter, Louis Ramsay (66 Matt Young), Nathan Ralph, Josh Staunton, Chez Isaac, Jason Banton (53 Charlie Carter), Regan Charles-Cook, Jordan Wynter, Jamie Philpot (64 Inih Effiong), Kane Ferdinand, Joe Ward.