Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

14 January 2023 Venue Peninsula Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Salford v Sutton preview

13 January 2023

After a good draw at Tranmere last Saturday, Sutton head back to the north west this weekend to face Salford City. U's will be in all black.

As of 9.30am Saturday morning there are no concerns over the pitch at the Peninsula Stadium and subject to any major and unexpected deterioration in the weather the game will go ahead.

The Peninsula Stadium provided U's with a first ever EFL point last season as the sides shared a goalless draw in August, and the scoreline was also blank when Salford visited Sutton later in the season, but there were goals when they returned to the VBS in September, Josh Neufville putting Sutton ahead before Donovan Wilson was sent off and Salford took advantage with two goals in the last ten minutes.

Salford have subsequently remained in and around the play-off area, although they have struggled with their home form and their 2-1 win against Northampton last Saturday was their first in nine league games at the Peninsula Stadium, a run dating back to the end of August when they beat Stevenage. They are currently 7th in the table, two points and five places above U's, so Sutton would move above them with a victory and, were other results to go U's way, could be in a play-off position on Saturday evening.

Like Matt Gray, Salford manager Neil Wood was on the shortlist for the League Two Manager of the Month award for December, although both lost out to the eventual winner Dave Challinor of Stockport, whose Kyle Wootton was voted Player of the Month.

You can see Matt's preview of the weekend game here

Saturday's referee is Lee Swabey, in his 8th season as an EFL referee. The Devon official took charge of our home game against Mansfield in August and last season's Papa Johns Trophy game at Portsmouth.

The pitch at Salford is currently clear of standing water, but with more rain forecast overnight and early tomorrow morning supporters should check our website and social media for any updates on the conditions.

Admission for anyone aged 16 and over is £5, while for children aged between 5 and 15 it will be £2. Under 5s are admitted free.

Tickets can be bought on line here, with each ticket bought on line subject to a £1.20 booking fee. Admission on the day will be by cash only through the East Stand entrance.

The Supporters' Coach leaves at 7.15am, and details for independent travellers can be found here.

Anyone not going to the game can listen to an audio commentary through our iFollow system. A match pass costs £2.50, but it is also possible to buy an audio monthly pass for £4.49 or a season pass for £45. Overseas supporters can watch the game for £10, or take advantage of the current half-season ticket offer of £85. Click here to buy any of the above passes - the overseas options will not be visible to UK supporters.



Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report for Salford City 2 Sutton United 0

14 January 2023

Salford City 2(McAleny 9, 45+1) Sutton United 0

Sutton fell to a first defeat in five league games at a blustery Peninsula Stadium, unable to repair the damage of conceding two goals when playing in to the elements despite dominating the second half, and wasting the best chance of setting up a grandstand finish when Rob Milsom's penalty was saved twenty minutes from time.

On a pitch that only just passed referee Lee Swabey's inspections, a patch near the centre circle causing particular concern, U's would have been pleased with a first half that saw them concede early to Conor McAleny, and seemed set to reach the interval only one down and with the benefit of the elements to come when McAleny's second in first half stoppage time, the softest of goals, dealt a major blow to U's hopes.

With Jack Rose injured, Lewis Ward took over in goal with the recalled Brad House on the bench, and  Ward was in early action, beating away Ethan Galbraith's shot at the near post. However he was helpless moments later as McAleny showed good skill to turn past Louis John and angled a fierce low shot in to the far corner of the net. John was in the thick of it again after twenty minutes, superbly turning Galbraith's cross away from Matt Smith and then throwing himself in the way of Ryan Watson's shot as the ball ran loose.

Playing in to a strong wind, U's occasionally threatened in the first half, Ali Smith and Donovan Wilson both firing in crosses that were cleared with difficulty, but with the half time whistle imminent Luke Bolton beat two defernders on the right and sent over a high cross from the by-line that came out from a combination of Ward and the crossbar, with McAleny hammering the loose ball in to the net.

As well as the wind, Sutton had torrential rain behind them after the break, and Enzio Boldewijn saw one low cross scrambled away at the near post.U's had enough of the ball to make Ward little more than a spectator for much of the half, but the final pass in to the penalty area was often disappointing and with a quarter of the game to go there was a double change as David Ajiboye and Tope Fadahunsi replaced Boldewijn and Wilson. The impact was almost immediate as Fadahunsi was wrestled to the ground by Theo Vassell as the ball was lofted in to the home penalty area, and the referee pointed to the spot. Milsom's penalty was hit low, but once Ashley Cairns had guessed correctly he made a comfortable save.

Soon afterwards Ajiboye darted between two defenders and was fouled by Callum Morton on the right edge of the penalty area, and Milsom almost atoned for his penalty failure with a free kick that Cairns had to turn away at his near post. Ben Goodliffe also had a chance, failing to make sufficient contact when a corner fell to him in the penalty area, and Cairns completed a hat trick of saves from Milsom, again from a free kick when Smith had been fouled, to ensure that U's record of never having scored at Salford would continue and that the home side would complete a league double.

Sutton: L Ward, J Kizzi (sub K Kouassi 90+3), R Milsom, C Eastmond, B Goodliffe, L John, E Boldewijn(sub D Ajiboye 66), A Smith(sub H Beautyman 85), O Bugiel, D Wilson(sub T Fadahunsi 66), W Randall(sub J Neufville 85) Subs n/u B House, S Hart. Booked: Eastmond, Bugiel

Salford: A Cairns, L Bolton, I Touray, J Lowe(sub C Morton 71), T Vassell, E Watt, R Watson, E Galbraith, M Smith, C McAleny(sub C Hendry 80), R Leak. Subs n/u J Torrance, A Eastham, O Bailey, L Tolaj, K Berkoe Booked: Smith, Leak, Touray

Referee: Lee Swabey

Attendance: 2,228(120 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News