Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

28 March 2023 Venue Imber Court Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Metropolitan Police
5 - 0
Sutton United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report for Metropolitan Police 5 Sutton United 0

28 March 2023

Metropolitan Police 5(Alves 26, Mather 40,73,79, Burrowes 89)

Sutton went out of the Surrey Senior Cup against a Metropolitan Police side who ultimately proved too strong for Sutton's academy players, although only after Met Police striker Jasper Mather had scored the second goal of his hat trick with just under twenty minutes to go could the home side feel completely confident of a semi final tie at home to Raynes Park Vale.

With Matt Gray unwilling to risk picking up any injuries to his first team squad players ahead of the last month of the League Two season the academy side took the game and for nearly half an hour matched their hosts, who are looking for promotion from the Southern League Premier South division and who provided a more experienced and physical test for U's youngsters. Josh Keeya sent an early shot just over for Met Police, and Mather glanced a header just wide, but Sutton had held on with a reasonable degree of comfort until a foul on Renedie Masampa conceded a free kick a little over 25 yards out, and Herson Rodrigues-Alves, who had one National League appearance to his name for U's, playing the first half of the November 2016 6-0 defeat at home to Dover, sent his free kick over the wall and past the motionless Enos Duah.

If the goalkeeper might have done better there he soon made amends with a fine save to turn over a 20 yard effort from Keeya, and with Ollie Khinda and Vinnie Tume both required to clear off the line in quick succession U's were under pressure. With the advantage of the elements behind them in the second half reaching the interval just one down would have represented a good effort, but five minutes before half time Oscar Williams, who had hitherto put in some excellent clearances when the ball came in to the penalty area, was caught in possession on the edge of the area by Mather, whose crisp shot gave Duah no chance.

Sutton finished the half on the front foot, Cameron Sullivan's inswinging corner only just evading the far post, and early in the second half U's came even closer when Joe Throp collected a left wing cross and showed neat control before shooting past goalkeeper Liam Beech, only for Laurence Ernest to clear off the line.

It was as close as Us were to come, and Mather should have extended the lead when he scooped over from close range following a free kick. However with seventeen minutes left Met Police substitute Alex Body went down the left before crossing, and Mather tidied up as the ball bounced around the six yard box. With the game now won, the home side pressed home their advantage when a crossfield pass from Lanseny Traore was cut out, allowing Fabio Sole to attack through the middle before finding substitute Shkyler Burrowes, who in turn played Mather in on the right and he beat a defender before shooting home off Duah and the far post to complete his hat trick. 

Before the end Mather returned the compliment for Burrowes, crossing from the left for the substitute to turn the ball inside the post on the half-volley, giving the scoreline a slightly harsh look for U's, who had competed well for long spells but were made to pay for errors.

Sutton: E Duah, V Tume, C Sullivan, L Traore, O Williams (sub S Aiwone 82), J Taylor, J Throp(sub D Olabiyi 79), O Khinda, G Costello(sub D Date 61), M Nwanekezie, C Grant(sub M Joseph 79). Sub n/u T Oke

Met Police: L Beach, R Masampa, A Fisher, L Ernest, B Tanner(sub S Burrowes 77), R Allen, F Sole, J Keeya, M Taylor-Crossdale(sub L Degand 62), H Alves(sub A Body 62), J Mather. Subs n/u C Lee, L Birch

Referee: Jonathan Bolland

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News