Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

12 August 2023 Venue SO Legal Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Weekend preview - U's head to Barrow and academy side play at VBS

11 August 2023

After a successful first week of the season, Sutton make the longest trip of the season on Saturday for the first away Sky Bet League Two game of this campaign, taking on Barrow at the SO Legal Stadium. U's will be wearing amber. There is football for Sutton supporters at the VBS, though, with our academy side facing Leyton Orient in the EFL Youth Alliance South East Division, kicking off at 11am.

Like Sutton, Barrow won their first League Two game of the season last Saturday, winning 2-1 at Tranmere, but unlike U's they were unable to progress in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday, former manager Ian Evatt's Bolton Wanderers side winning by the only goal of the game.

Barrow's winner on Saturday came from Kian Spence, one of a number of new signings during the summer when he joined from FC Halifax Town. Jamie Proctor, who scored a brilliant goal for Port Vale against U's two years ago, moved from Vale Park along with David Worrall, while other signings who may be familiar to Sutton supporters are Courtney Duffus, signed from Morecambe but previously with Bromley and Yeovil, Junior Tiensia, who had a brief spell with U's in the National League championship season, and Mazeed Ogungbo, signed from Arsenal, was on loan at Crawley last season. One regular in the Barrow squad in previous meetings, Patrick Brough, has joined Northampton.

U's will be looking for a first ever win at Barrow, although three previous visits have ended in draws, most recently an undistinguished goalless game in March. Steve Arnold, who started in goal for Sutton on Tuesday, picked up a hip injury which is likely to prevent him being involved against one of his former clubs, but Christian N'Guessan may be fit to return to the squad after missing the first two games through injury, and the loan of D'Mani Mellor went through in time for him to be added. Sam Hart and Ryan Jackson are close to fitness but Saturday is likely to come too soon for them. 

Referee Martin Woods is in his second season as an EFL referee and last season was in charge of Sutton's game at Grimsby. He refereed the 2022 National League play-off final.

Tickets are on sale on line, although any ordered now will need to be picked up from the ground on the day. The link is  here, and once in the site you should click on 'buy tickets' and then the 'away end' section. Prices are £20 for adults, £17 for seniors (age 65+) or age 18-21; £7 for under 18s and free for under 7s if accompanied by an over 18. On the day prices rise to £22, £18 and £8 respectively. It is necessary to register before completing your purchase, but there is no booking fee. 

Supporters not travelling can listen to a full audio commentary through our iFollow service, and overseas supporters can watch the game live. For the audio commentary in the UK, passes can be bought for £2.50, but monthly passes are available for £4.49 and season passes for £45, both excellent value. Overseas supporters can watch every game, with a match pass costing £10. Again monthly passes are available at £25 and a season pass at the early bird price of £140 until the end of August. Click here for full details and to purchase a pass.

Also, if you're not going to Barrow but want your fix of live football, why not go along to the VBS and support our academy side in their home game against Leyton Orient. The season started with an excellent 2-1 win over Brentford last Saturday at Aberdour, Camron Grant's late goal proving decisive after an earlier goal from a triallist. Admission on Saturday is free and kick off at 11am.

Supporters who are going to Barrow, if travelling by car, should take the M6 to junction 36, then join the A590 for the last 30 miles or so, which may have some slow sections, to Barrow. Continue towards the town centre on Park Road and then Walney Road, still the A590. After passing the fire station take the next left in to Wilkie Road, and the ground is on the right. There is no on site car parking for spectators.

By rail: Barrow station is about half a mile from the ground - turn right out of the station in to Holker Street and the ground is on the left. Leave Euston at 09.30 or 10.30, changing at Lancaster to arrive at Barrow at 13.02 or 14.22. Return at 17.19 or 18.02, the last train that will get you to London the same day, again changing at Lancaster to arrive at 21.40 or 22.55. 


Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report for Barrow 2 Sutton United 1

12 August 2023

Barrow 2 (Acquah 79, Proctor 82) Sutton United 1 (Angol 33)

Sutton's poor record at Barrow continued in hugely frustrating circumstances when two goals in three minutes inside the last quarter of an hour turned the game in the home team's favour after Sutton had battled for all but the first fifteen minutes with ten men after Harry Smith was sent off following an off the ball incident. Despite Smith's dismissal, Sutton led at half time through Lee Angol, and might have scored a second through Omari Patrick in the second half, and there was anxiety among the home fans until Emil Acquah fired an equaliser across Jack Rose, and three minutes later Proctor had completed the turnaround.

Sutton might have taken an early lead when Patrick's cross from the left was deflected in to the air and Harry Beautyman arrived late at the far post but headed over tha bar. U's were soon up against it, though, as a clash off the ball between Smith and Tom White left the Barrow midfielder on the floor, and although referee Martin Woods missed the incident he seemed to take advice from fourth official Helen Conley before producing the red card.

Despite the numerical advantage Barrow struggled to find a way through a solid Sutton defence, and when Ged Garner did get in behind the defence his powerful shot crashed back off the crossbar. After surviving that  scare, Sutton went on to take the lead, with White again a central figure as he was dispossessed by Angol midway inside the Barrow half. Angol went clear through the middle, and although his first shot was saved by Paul Farman he made no mistake when the ball rebounded back to him. 

Some brilliant defending from Ben Goodliffe kept U's ahead at half time as twice in quick succession he threw himself in the way of shots from Dean Campbell, and Sutton continued to defend well in to the second half, with Barrow restricted to half chances. Garner headed over early in the second half, and then volleyed wildly over the bar from a good position on the left. It was far from one way traffic, though, and Angol just failed to turn in Joe KIzzi's cross at the far post before Omari Patrick produced a superb run from the half way line but a slightly heavy touch left him stretching for the shot and Farman was able to save.

Both sides made changes, with Craig Clay and Tope Fadahunsi replacing Angol and Josh Coley for U's, Fadahunsi a year since he had come on against Barrow at Sutton and scored the winner,  and Junior Tiensia, who had a brief spell at Sutton in the National League championship season, among the players introduced for Barrow. Tiensia proved a handful on the left, cutting in and seeing one shot blocked by Goodliffe and running through to Rose, who soon afterwards picked up the harshest of bookings for time wasting.

Sam Foley was another substitute to make an impact, and seven minutes after coming on he created the equaliser with a ball played through to Acquah, who held off the challenge of Rob Milsom and fired a shot in to the bottom far corner from a tight angle. Three minutes later Foley was again involved with a ball through to Jamie Proctor, also introduced in the second half, and the former Port Vale striker who scored a superb goal against U's two seasons ago  again found the net here, poking the ball past Rose as the keeper came out.

It was a double blow for U's and they were unable to recover as the home side saw the game out, giving U's few chances to put them under pressure even after Omar Sowunmi had been pushed forward in the closing stages as an emergency striker, and making it two wins out of two following their win at Tranmere last Saturday.

Sutton: J Rose, J Kizzi, R Milsom, O Sowunmi, B Goddliffe, C Eastmond(sub L John 90+1), J Coley(sub C Clay 71), L Angol(sub T Fadahunsi 71), H Smith, H Beautyman(sub D Mellor 84), O Patrick(sub C N'Guessan 83) Subs n/u B House, C Dundas

Barrow: P Farman, R Feely, T White(sub J Proctor 56), D Campbell(sub S Foley 71), G Ray(sub J Tiensia 56), N Canavan, D Worrall, K Spence, E Acquah(sub C Duffus 83), G Garner, E Newby(sub T Warren 71). Subs n/u R Gotts, J Lillis

Referee: Martin Woods

Attendance: 3,003(94 away)

Photo courtesy of Barrow FC/Luke Reynolds Photography

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News