Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

16 December 2023 Venue Edgeley Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Stockport v Sutton preview

14 December 2023

After the postponement of Saturday's game against Harrogate, Sutton return to action this Saturday away to the league leaders, with Stockport County six points clear at the top of the table. We will be wearing amber.

Unbeaten at home in the league since the first day of the season when Gillingham scored the only goal of the game at Edgeley Park, Stockport won twelve league games in a row after the beginning of September and have put themselves in a good position to improve on last season's appearance in the play-offs, when they lost on penalties to Carlisle at Wembley, but after losing at Newport at the end of November they have now gone six league and cup games without a win, most recently going out of the FA Cup on Wednesday evening at home to National League Aldershot.

Leading scorer Isaac Olaofe will need little introduction to U's players and supporters, but having scored in four consecutive games earlier in the season, including a hat trick in a 5-0 win over Wrexham, the most eye-catching result of that run of wins, he hasn't scored since netting the late consolation goal in the defeat at Newport.

Sutton will be hoping for better luck than on last season's visit to Edgeley Park, when Omar Bugiel was sent off after only two minutes and Stockport eased to a 3-0 win. The fortnight without a game has given some of the injuries a chance to recover and manager Matt Gray is hopeful of being able to recall some of the recent absentees on Saturday. While Stockport have gone six league and cup games without a win, U's are unbeaten in five league games and have lost only one of the last eight in all competitions.

Saturday's referee is Adam Herczeg, who is in his second season on the EFL list. He has refereed Sutton once before, taking charge of the 1-0 win at Kings Lynn in the 2020-21 season.

Tickets will be on sale on the day of the game from the away ticket office in the Cheadle End car park, which is also where any pre-bought tickets can be collected.  Prices are Adults £22; Concessions (age 65+/disabled/student with ID) £16; Youth (age 14-17) £10; Junior (age 6-13) £8; Child (under 6) £2. Any child under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a full paying adult/senior. Sutton supporters will enter the ground through Gate F. A fan information pack for Edgeley Park can be found here.

For anyone in the UK not going, there will be an audio commentary on the game through our iFollow service, with a match pass costing £2.50. Monthly (£4.49) and seasonal (£45) passes are also available and as well as covering all EFL games in that period would also be valid for any commentary we provide for the FA Cup game at Plymouth in January, when match passes will not be sold. Overseas supporters can watch the game for £10, or take advantage of the great value half-season pass now available for just £85. Note that these will not be valid in the FA Cup. Click here and then choose the required pass.

The easiest way to get to Saturday's game is by train, with Stockport station very close to the ground, which is visible on the left as you approach the station. It is only just over two hours from Euston, from where trains leave at 33 and 53 minutes past the hour. Walk up Station Road, turn left at the top and cross at the pelican crossing before the roundabout.  Take the A5464 (Mercian Way) and turn left into Caroline Street for the stadium. Return direct at 04 or 24 minutes past the hour, or at 17.39 or 18.40 with a change at Crewe.

Those driving to the game should leave the M6 at Junction 19 and travel via the A556 and M56 to join the M60. Exit the M60 at Junction 1 (sign-posted ‘Stockport Town Centre’). At the roundabout, follow signs to ‘Cheadle A560’ also ‘Stockport County FC’ into Hollywood Way. Go straight on at the first set of traffic lights and turn right at the next (sign-posted ‘Cheadle A560, Stockport County FC’) onto the A560 towards ‘Ye Olde Woolpack’ pub. After 1.1 miles, turn left (no signpost, by the ‘Farmers Arms’) onto the B5465 Edgeley Road. After approximately 1 mile turn right into Dale Street at the traffic lights and take the second left into Hardcastle Road for the stadium. There is no car parking at the ground, but there are a number of pay and display car parks within a 5-10 minute walk of the ground, with the closest being Alexandra Park, SK3 9NE, on the left just before the turning to Dale Street.


Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report for Stockport County 8 Sutton United 0

16 December 2023

Stockport County 8(Croasdale 6,20, Wootton 12, Madden 23,53, 90+3pen, Cotterill 69, Olaofe 86) Sutton United 0

A game that matched the Sky Bet League Two leaders with the division's bottom team, but on recent form looked to be a much closer affair, proved to be anything but as Sutton's recent mini-revival came to a shuddering halt at Edgeley Park, four goals going past Dean Bouzanis before a quarter of the game had been played, and Stockport going on to inflict a defeat that had reached the humiliating category, and was a record post-war league defeat for U's, by the time referee Adam Herczeg ended the misery. 

The fortnight without a game allowed Sam Hart, Omar Sowunmi and Ryan Jackson to take their places in a defence that was, unlike the back line that had finished against Horsham, entirely made up of defenders, although Louis John's hopes of a return ended when he pulled up during the warm-up. Inside the first minute Hart found himself in space from a Harry Smith pass and tried his luck from thirty yards, but the ball sailed high in to the Stockport supporters behind the goal and it was to be a portent of much of what would happen from then on. Within the next five minutes Dean Bouzanis saved well from Kyle Wootton at the near post, Fraser Horsfall sent a header just wide and then, after he had been fouled on the left by-line by Harry Beautyman, Ryan Croasdale scored the simplest of headers from Odin Bailey's free kick.

It was a perfect start to settle Stockport's anxieties after a run of six league and cup games without a win, and inside the next twenty minutes they had the points sewn up. Wootton slid in at the far post to convert a low cross from Kyle Knoyle and then, after Bouzanis had come out to save from Croasdale, Sutton failed to clear and the midfielder duly had his second of the afternoon as he shot home first time from Callum Camps' pass. Worse followed as Bailey set up Paddy Madden to sweep a low shot past Bouzanis, and the afternoon was already a case of damage limitation for Sutton, hitherto unbeaten in the league since the defeat at Wrexham in October. U's did reach the interval with no further harm done, although Wootton missed one glorious chance as he scuffed a shot wide from Croasdale's cross when it seemed easier to score, and on the stroke of half time there might have even been a goal back as Aiden O'Brien volleyed over from a good position after Stockport failed to clear a long throw. 

Hart made way for Rob Milsom, also fit again after injury, at half time while Sowunmi didn't reappear for the second half, Christian N'Guessan dropping to centre back as Craig Clay came on, but any hint of a second half revival was soon snuffed out as Bailey's shot was deflected wide, and Ibou Touray's corner was headed in by Madden with little challenge from a defender and the ball travelling a long way to find the net.

Brimming with confidence, Madden sent a shot just wide from near the touchline before Stockport made a quadruple substitution, with Isaac Olaofe among the players coming on. The former Sutton striker's first touch was a shot saved by Bouzanis, but the next good chance came at the other end when O'Brien pulled a pass back for Josh Coley, who could only misdirect a shot from close range past the post. Moments later, though, Sutton's defensive afternoon reached its nadir as Ben Hinchcliffe's long clearance was miscontrolled by Bouzanis as the goalkeeper tried to play sweeper, and another substitute, Joel Cotterill, skipped past the stranded Bouzanis and found the empty net from thirty yards, N'Guessan trying unsuccessfully to block the shot inside the six yard box.

Olaofe hit the bar when he met Cotterill's low cross at the near post, but he wasn't to be denied a goal against his former club as he shot home left footed after Touray had exchanged passes with Jayden Richardson and crossed low from the left. There was still time for further indignity as Richardson hit the bar after being put through by Olaofe, but Touray's cross from the rebound hit Jackson on the hand, and Madden completed his hat trick with a penalty that Bouzanis got hands to but could only push in to the roof of the net.

Sutton: D Bouzanis, R Jackson, S Hart(sub R MIlsom H-T), O Sowunmi(sub C Clay H-T), J Kizzi, D Pereira, J Coley(sub O Patrick 79), C N'Guessan, H Smith(sub L Angol 79), H Beautyman, A O'Brien. Subs n/u S Arnold, L John, T Fadahunsi. Booked: Beautyman

Stockport: B Hinchcliffe, K Knoyle, I Touray, E Pye, N Byrne(sub J Richardson 84), F Horsfall, R Croasdale(sub A Wright 64), C Camps(sub J Cotterill 63), P Madden, K Wootton(sub I Olaofe 64), O Bailey(sub C Johnson 63). Subs n/u J Smith, N Powell

Referee: Adam Herczeg

Attendance: 8,703(94 away)

There was disappointment for the academy side on Saturday morning as they went down 3-1 at Plymouth in the Southern semi final of the EFL Youth Alliance League Cup. An early Plymouth goal was almost immediately cancelled out by George Vorster, but Plymouth, the leaders of the South West Division, regained the lead ten minutes before half time and secured a place in the Southern final against Portsmouth with a third goal eleven minutes from the end of the game.


Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News