Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

21 November 2023 Venue The Valley Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League Trophy

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Charlton v Sutton preview

20 November 2023

The group stage of this season's Bristol Street Motors Trophy ends on Tuesday, with Sutton making a first visit to The Valley to take on League One Charlton Athletic in what is, even though officially a group game, a knockout tie with the winners set to go through to the second stage of the competition and the losers going out. The kick off is at 7pm and Sutton will be wearing amber.

Both sides have three points in Southern Group B but have reached that figure in different ways, with Charlton losing at Crawley and then beating Aston Villa's Under 21s, both in the regulation ninety minutes, and Sutton drawing with both teams but gaining an extra point by winning the penalty shootout against Crawley having lost in the same way to Villa. That means that a draw after ninety minutes on Tuesday would leave the sides still level on points, and the winners of the penalty shootout going through as runners-up in the group behind Crawley to an away tie in the first knockout stage. If the draw follows the same procedure as the previous two seasons potential opponents will be Portsmouth, Reading, West Ham Under 21s and either MK Dons or Oxford United, with MK needing a point from Tuesday's home game against Northampton to win that group.

The game was put back a week while Charlton finally took care of their FA Cup tie against Cray Valley Paper Mills, but Charlton had no game on Saturday due to international call-ups and so manager Michael Appleton, who was a beaten finalist in this competition twice while manager of Oxford United, is expected to name a strong side, while mindful of facing their longest journey of the season on Saturday to Carlisle. They currently lie in mid table in League One and in their last league game scored an injury time equaliser to earn a draw at leaders Portsmouth.

Sutton have struck late equalisers in the last two games, extending an unbeaten run to four in league and cup, and are looking to make it three out of three successful negotiations of the group stage. Manager Matt Gray has used the competition in the past to give game time to players who may not have featured recently but one of those who might have been included, Lee Angol, is unavailable through suspension having been booked in both U's group games so far. Dion Pereira is also absent on international duty with Antigua & Barbuda, for whom he scored his first goal in Saturday's 3-2 home defeat against Puerto Rico.

Tuesday's referee is Carl Brook, who first took charge of a Sutton game in 2007 and is now in his fourth EFL season. He last refereed U's in October's home defeat against Salford.

Tickets for Tuesday's game are £10 for adults and £5 for over 65s and under 21s and tickets can be bought at the ground on the night from the South Stand ticket office, card payment only. That is also where to pick up any tickets that have been bought on line but not yet collected. Our accommodation is in the Jimmy Seed (South) Stand.

If you can't make it to The Valley on Tuesday you can watch the game on our iFollow service as it is being live streamed, and match passes costing £10 can be bought here.

Supporters going to the game will find it easiest by train, with Charlton station less than five minutes walk from the ground and frequent services from London Bridge. If travelling from Sutton, catch the 26 or 56 minutes past the hour. Return at 17 or 47 minutes past the hour, or 03 and 33 with a second change at Tulse Hill.

For anyone who wants to drive, the best route will depend on the prevailing rush hour traffic. The ground is just off the A206 Woolwich Road, east of the Woolwich Road Flyover on the A102 Blackwall Tunnel northbound approach. There is no parking at the ground and a lot of the surrounding streets have parking restrictions. The post code is SE7 8BL.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report for Charlton Athletic 3 Sutton United 0

21 November 2023

Charlton Athletic 3 (Blackett-Taylor 11, McGrandles 50, May 68) Sutton United 0

Sutton made a tame exit from the Bristol Street Motors Trophy as Charlton recorded a relatively comfortable victory to go through from the group as runners-up to Crawley. U's had their moments, a bright spell just before half time seeing Harry Smith go close with a header, and for a brief period after Charlton had gone two up early in the second half when Smith and Omari Patrick might have provided an immediate response, but the League One side had made sure of their progress with a quarter of the game still to go.

Sutton's side showed several changes from Saturday's draw with Tranmere, Omari Patrick starting alongside Harry Smith with Tope Fadahunsi on the left, while there were places on the substitutes' bench for academy prospects Cameron Sullivan and Liam Moore.

In front of a small crowd in a large stadium which gave the game the atmosphere of a reserve match, despite the best efforts of nearly 300 Sutton supporters, Charlton might have been in front inside the first ten minutes when Miles Leaburn went through and was left with just Steve Arnold to beat, but he pulled his shot against the near post with Scott Fraser shooting over from the rebound. Fraser then shot past Arnold but saw the effort ruled out for offside,  but the first goal wasn't long in coming as Corey Blackett-Taylor advanced on the left, beat Ryan Jackson on the outside and shot across Arnold in to the net.

Fraser put a free kick just wide midway through the half after Rob Milsom's foul on Nathan Asiimwe, the opening again created by Blackett-Taylor's pace on the left, but Sutton asked more questions of the home defence as the half went on and Harry Smith headed in to the side netting from a Milsom corner. Just before half time, though, Arnold had to save from an angled Tyreece Campbell shot and, after Dominic Gape had been forced off injured and replaced by Harry Beautyman, the substitute's first action was to be penalised for a tackle on Campbell that gave Charlton the softest of penalties. U's escaped, though, as Blackett-Taylor's spot kick came back off the foot of the post.

Sutton barely had the chance to make the most of that reprieve at the start of the second half, though, as Campbell just kept the ball in on the left touch line and laid it back to Conor McGrandles, whose shot deflected off Goodliffe to leave Arnold stranded. Sutton immediately had a chance to reduce the deficit as Josh Coley ran on to a misplaced defensive header and set up Smith, whose disappointing shot was easily saved. Omari Patrick then raced clear on the right but saw his shot well saved at the near post, but Sutton suffered a second injury blow as Milsom was injured trying to prevent Leaburn getting in a shot and was replaced by Louis John.

Charlton made a treble substitution on the hour, including bringing on the division's leading scorer Alfie May, and within seven minutes Sutton had the same feeling as a lot of League One defences have had in recent seasons as he ensured Charlton's progress after Beautyman was dispossessed by Campbell, who put Fraser through to cross for May to score with a diving header and set up a last twenty minutes in which the home side saw the game out comfortably.

Sutton: S Arnold, R Jackson, R Milsom(sub L John 58), O Sowunmi, B Goodliffe, C Clay, J Coley (sub C N'Guessan 72), D Gape(sub H Beautyman 45), H Smith (sub C Dundas 72), T Fadahunsi, O Patrick. Subs n/u B House, C Sullivan, L Moore.

Charlton: S Walker, N Asiimwe, T Edun(sub L Jones 61), C McGrandles(sub G Dobson 61), L Ness, T Watson, T Campbell, L Watson, C Blackett-Taylor(sub A May 61), S Fraser(sub H Kedwell 76), M Leaburn(sub S Tedic 76). Subs n/u P Adegoke, C Campbell.

Referee: Carl Brook

Attendance: 1,377(294 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News