Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rain thwarts Sutton

30 March 2018

Sutton endured a frustrating afternoon as continuous rain caused the game at Maidenhead to be abandoned at half time with U's 3-2 up, and Vanarama National League leaders Macclesfield snatched a bizarre injury time winner at Woking to go six points clear at the top.

Referee Joe Johnson decided that conditions at York Road were playable at kick off time, but after incessant rain through a first half as good as any that U's have been involved in this season he called the game off after a half time inspection with the remainder of his team, and despite the fact that his team was ahead at the time manager Paul Doswell, who had been in several conversations with the reserve official about the conditions, had no complaints. ''I was unhappy at 1-1, I was unhappy when we were 2-1 down and I was unhappy when we were 3-2 up. Alan Devonshire and I both agreed that it should be called off, as there was a fear someone would get hurt. It's arguable whether the game should have started given the weather forecast, but certainly it was right that it was abandoned when it was.''

The 45 minutes that were played, though, provided great entertainment as Harry Pritchard gave Maidenhead the lead in the 6th minute after Sam Barratt's cross had fallen to him twelve yards out, but Craig Eastmond levelled within four minutes with a superb first time volley on the turn. Terell Thomas his the post, and headed wide from a corner, while Jamie Colins was just wide with a free kick, but Maidenhead regained the lead through a terrific 25-yard shot from Jake Hyde just before the half hour. Simon Walton tied things up again with a low shot following a Tom Bolarinwa corner, at which point there was a suspicion that the referee might call a halt with the scores level, but he allowed it to run to half time, by which time Louis John had rekindled memories of his goal at Chester with a stunning 25-yard shot that flew in to the top corner. Unfortunately the abandonment means that it won't count, and the sides will meet again some time in April.

Macclesfield then scored four minutes in to injury time after the ball had stuck in a puddle two yards out to beat Woking 3-2, the home side having equalised six minutes from time.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News