Sutton fans are set to walk the long road to Wembley in bid to relegate prostate cancer.
Sutton United fans will be Marching for Men on the road to Wembley on Sunday 22nd July with Prostate Cancer UK, and you can join them.
For the first time, the number of men dying from prostate cancer every year has overtaken the number of women dying from breast cancer, making prostate cancer the third biggest cancer killer in the UK.
It's time to greater strides in combating this disease, so fans from across the Premier League, English Football League (EFL) and Non-League are putting rivalries aside in a bid to raise much needed funds and awareness to help relegate this killer disease.
The Football March for Men consists of four mega marathon marches; each leg will be 26.2 miles and in total the marches will visit 15 clubs with each marathon converging at Wembley, the home of English football.
The event has been backed by Sutton manager Paul Doswell who said: “The stats about prostate cancer are shocking. Hearing two men die from this disease in the course of one game of football really puts things into perspective, and this is an opponent like no other.
“I know people affected by this disease and the heartache and worry it causes friends and loved ones should not be underestimated, so if we can do something to make a difference I'm all for it.
“I wear the ‘Man of Men' pin badge on the sidelines and know the Sutton fans will get behind the Football March for Men in July. We are proud to host one of the starting points and I'm looking forward to seeing an army of fans walking side by side with their rivals to raise awareness of this hugely important issue.”
National League high-flyers Sutton United kick-off the South West London leg, which sees visits to AFC Wimbledon and Brentford while another starting point is Clarence Park, home of National League South, St Albans City. Walkers will head to Watford and Barnet before the final stretch to HA9.
Prostate Cancer UK's Chief Executive, Angela Culhane, who walked more than 130 miles with Jeff Stelling in last year's march, said: “I'm thrilled that our walking programme continues to gather momentum, and look forward to beating the drum even louder across the UK this year as we mobilise legions of our supporters. One man dies every 45 minutes from prostate cancer, and we now know this disease is the third biggest cancer killer and that's unacceptable.
“Thanks to the money raised we can fund more ground-breaking research, and it will also help us provide dedicated support and information to men and their families and make prostate cancer a disease the next generation of men need not fear. We've got a way to go but these walks are the perfect way to take a step in the right direction.”
If you're interested in signing up for a March for Men or would like more information, visit Prostate Cancer UK's website or see below