Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report for Newport County 0 Sutton United 2

25 February 2023

Match Reports

Match report for Newport County 0 Sutton United 2

25 February 2023

Newport County 0 Sutton United 2 (Rowe 9, Smith 65)

For the second away match in a row, and the second time in two seasons at Newport,  Sutton took a two goal lead, but this time there was no home team comeback as U's maintained the pressure on the sides above, and reached the 50 point mark in League Two

Sutton, for whom skipper Craig Eastmond returned after suspension, might have scored in the first minute as David Ajiboye and Joe Kizzi combined on the right and Ajiboye's low cross was scooped disappointingly wide by Lee Angol, but after Harry Charsley had volleyed wide for Newport, Sutton got the goal the bright start deserved when, after referee Tom Nield had ruled much to Newport's annoyance that an Ajiboye header had deflected off Aaron Lewis, the resulting corner saw Ben Goodliffe's header stabbed across goal by Ali Smith and turned in by Coby Rowe.

U's were indebted to Jack Rose for a superb double save midway through the half as he denied Offrande Zanzala after the striker had beaten Rowe to a through ball, and then turned away Scott Bennett's follow up effort, and luck went with U's from the corner as Priestly Farquharson's effort came back off the post and was scrambled away. Rose required treatment before play could restart, but recovered well enough to save Farquharson's header from Micky Demetriou's long throw, and soon afterwards Charsley headed wide from Cameron Norman's cross as Newport failed to prevent U's going in at half time a goal up.

Both sides made changes at the break, Kylian Kouassi replacing Donovan Wilson after the striker reported discomfort in his hamstring, and Bennett's 300th Newport appearance ended as Nathan Moriah-Welsh came on. Kouassi almost had an immediate impact, a backheeled flick setting up Angol for a shot that went too high, and then stinging the palms of Joe Day with a fierce shot. At the other end Rowe blocked a low shot from Lewis, and Rose tipped over Charlie McNeill's rising shot as Newport pressed for an equaliser, Zanzala also denied by a sliding Goodliffe, the striker's last involvement as he limped off to be replaced by Omar Bogle.

These defensive efforts were rewarded, and the home team's momentum stalled, in stunning fashion as a break initiated by Ajiboye and continued by Will Randall and Kouassi ended with Smith drilling a low 20-yard shot in to the corner of the net.

Rose immediately had to turn away a low Bogle shot that threatened to creep inside the near post, but Smith's goal had given U's a firm hold on the game. Angol picked up the afternoon's only booking for failing to leave the pitch quickly enough when replaced by Matt Dennis, and Randall had a shot blocked as U's closed out an impressive victory.

Sutton: J Rose, J Kizzi, S Hart(sub E Boldewijn 90+3), C Rowe, B Goodliffe, C Eastmond, D Ajiboye, A Smith, D Wilson(sub K Kouassi H-T), L Angol (sub M Dennis 79), W Randall. Subs n/u B House, H Beautyman, C Dundas, L Gambin. Booked: Angol

Newport: J Day, C Norman, A Lewis, M Demetriou, J Clarke(sub C Kavanagh 70),  P Farquharson, H Charsley(sub W Evans 70), S Bennett(sub N Moriah-Welsh H-T), C McNeill, O Zanzala (sub O Bogle 60), M Baker. Subs n/u N Townsend, S Bowen, E Cadwallader.

Referee: Tom Nield

Attendance: 3,968 (223 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News