Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report for Epsom & Ewell 1 Sutton United 2

7 November 2023

Epsom & Ewell 1(Nelson-Roberts 62) Sutton United 2(Vorster 76,86)

Sutton's academy youngsters added another impressive result to their collection as they came from behind to beat Combined Counties League Epsom & Ewell and move in to the third round of the Surrey Senior Cup. After an hour in which U's were on top but thwarted by an outstanding performance from Epsom goalkeeper Harvey Keogh, it looked as though the failure to take chances would be costly when Ethan Nelson-Roberts headed Epsom in front moments after Brad House, the only non-academy player in the line-up had saved a penalty, but substitute George Vorster struck twice in the last fifteen minutes to give U's a thoroughly deserved win to follow up last week's FA Youth Cup success at Colchester.

The team that had won in Essex was supplemented by several players returning for the night from loans at senior clubs, including Lanseny Traore, Oscar Williams and George Costello who have all been playing in the Combined Counties League for Egham and Colliers Wood, as well as Jack Taylor (Burgess Hill) and Jack Phillips (Metropolitan Police), and Williams almost scored inside the first minute when he shot in to the side netting after a corner had fallen to him.

Sutton had the better of the first half but found Keogh in fine form, even if his first save, pushing wide a Phillips shot after the winger had been put through by a superb Joden Trickett pass, wasn't acknowledged by referee Callum  Peters, who gave a goal kick. There was no doubt about two later saves, though, both to deny Trickett, the first a close range header and the second pushing away a low shot from twenty yards.

Epsom's attempts to put Sutton under pressure were hampered by an inability to stay onside, several promising positions being halted by the assistant's flag, and the early stages of the second half continued to see u's on top, with Trickett having a shot diverted just wide by a defender,  Keogh saving from Khyan Edwards and Trickett's glancing header deflecting on to the bar and over. However against the run of play Epsom were handed a golden chance to take the lead when Javon Marquis tangled with Rory Edwards just inside the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. House made a fine save to his left to keep out Luke Miller's penalty, but the resulting corner was swung in from the right by Steve Springett and headed down and in at the far post by Nelson-Roberts.

U's response was to bring Vorster on for Costello, and with fourteen minutes to go the substitute had levelled as a deep cross from the right was brought down by Edwards, and although Keogh again saved well from his close range shot Vorster was on hand to bury the rebound. As penalties loomed for the second week running it was Sutton who finished the game stronger, and the reward came four minutes from time when captain Cameron Sullivan produced a darting run in to the penalty area before teeing up Vorster, who swept a low shot beyond Keogh in to the corner of the net to complete the comeback and send Sutton through.

Sutton: B House, J Marquis, C Sullivan, L Traore, J Taylor, O Williams(sub J Eccleston 73), J Phillips, L Moore, J Trickett, G Costello(sub G Vorster 63), K Edwards. Subs n/u L Jones, V Tume. Booked: Traore.

Epsom: H Keogh, T Williams(sub L Elsom 64), N Inwugwu, S Springett(sub V Carpene 75), R Tierney, O Thompson, E Nelson-Roberts(sub M Batula 82), R Edwards, G Owusu(sub E Amissah 50), T Adeyemi, L Miller(sub J Stanley 69).

Referee: Callum Peter

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News