Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report for Wycombe Wanderers 0 Sutton United 1

29 August 2023

Match Reports

Match report for Wycombe Wanderers 0 Sutton United 1

29 August 2023

Wycombe Wanderers 0 Sutton United 1 (O'Brien 19)

Sutton's run in the Carabao Cup continued as Aiden O'Brien's first half goal earned a battling win at Adams Park and put U's in the third round draw with the likes of Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool.

U's fielded a line-up showing five changes from the defeat at Newport, with Harry Smith returning after suspension and Ryan Jackson, Louis John, Christian N'Guessan and O'Brien all starting, John taking the captain's armband with Harry Beautyman one of those reverting to the substitutes' bench, while Wycombe retained eight  of the eleven that had won at Bristol Rovers, with Welsh international Sam Vokes leading the attack. 

It was another experienced striker, Garath McCleary, who came close to giving Wycombe the lead after seven minutes when a pass from Freddie Potts split the defence, and Jack Rose made a fine save to deny McCleary, Ben Goodliffe diving to divert Potts' follow up shot.

Vokes also tested Rose with a shot which the keeper held well, and Richard Keogh headed over from a good position following a corner, but it was Sutton who struck in the 19th minute when Smith's flick on was helped on by Josh Coley to O'Brien, who slotted a shot past the advancing Max Stryjek for his first Sutton goal.

Sutton might have had another five minutes later when Coley's pace took him clear on the right and his cross was volleyed just wide by Smith, and eleven minutes before half time a pass from John sent Omari Patrick clear on the left but his shot was too close to Stryjek. Coley saw a low shot blocked after Rob Milsom's cross had been cleared, but Wycombe had their moments before the break as well and Rose made another fine save to keep out a Potts shot as Sutton reached half time with the lead that some of the football deserved.

Wycombe started the second half well, and Rose saved from Vokes following a corner while substitute Luke Leahy, who had replaced Harry Boyes at half time, was booked for dissent within five minutes of his arrival. Potts headed against the outside of the post and Killian Phillips volleyed just wide from Leahy's cross as the home side kept the pressure on.

U's made two changes on the hour, Jackson and O'Brien, both short of minutes this season, replaced by Joe Kizzi and Lee Angol, but were still under pressure and Vokes hit the post with a header from a corner after Wycombe's own substitute, David Wheeler, had forced a hurried clearance from John. As the changes continued, Omar Sowunmi came on as an attacker to replace Smith, but U's were still having to defend and Wheeler flashed a header just wide from Vincent-Young's cross and sent another one over the top from Leahy's cross. U's held firm, though, defending stoutly and managing seven minutes of stoppage time superbly to claim a second consecutive notable cup win at Adams Park, with this time no second leg to ruin it.

Sutton: J Rose, R Jackson(sub J Kizzi 60) R Milsom(sub S Kashket 83), C Clay, B Goodliffe, L John, J Coley(sub H Beautyman 83), C N'Guessan, H Smith(sub O Sowunmi 72), A O'Brien(sub L Angol 61), O Patrick. Subs n/u B House, C Dundas, T Fadahunsi, H Kasimu. Booked: Coley, Sowunmi

Wycombe: M Stryjek, K Vincent-Young, J Low, J Scowen, C Forino,  R Keogh, K Phillips(sub D Wheeler 70), F Potts, S Vokes(sub K Breckin 83), G McCleary(sub T De Barr 70), H Boyes(sub L Leahy H-T). Subs n/u L Shala, J McCarthy, J Pattenden, C Ward, D Skura. Booked: Low, Leahy

Referee: Chris Pollard

Attendance: 1,778(282 away)



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets News